A real estate appraiser is someone who determines the value of a property – the land and the buildings on the land. Appraisals are done before a property is sold, mortgaged, taxed, insured or developed.
- Flexible hours
- Family-friendly career
- Stable industry
- Good income potential
- Different tasks each day
- Not stuck in a cubicle all day
- Become an Appraisal Trainee
This level can also be referred to as Registered Appraiser, Apprentice Appraiser or Beginning Appraiser and is the beginning level for a career in appraisal.
To "qualify" to become an Appraisal Trainee, a person must meet the following requirements:
Upgrade your appraisal license
- Education: 75 hours of state-approved coursework.
- Basic Appraisal Principles (30 hours)
- Basic Appraisal Procedures (30 hours)
- USPAP (15 hours)
- Experience: There is no prerequisite experience at this level
- Supervision: As an Appraisal Trainee, you must be under the direct supervision of a Certified Appraiser at all times and complete a mandatory trainee/supervisor course before logging experience hours. Click here to help find a Certified Appraiser.
- License Exam: You do not have to pass an exam at the national level, but some states require it. To find out if your state requires an exam, click here and contact your state appraisal regulatory agency.
- Application: Because there is no national level license at this stage, you do not have to complete an application, but some states require it. To find out if your state requires an application, click here and contact your state appraisal regulatory agency.
- There are many additional license levels for a real estate appraiser. Each level requires additional education and work experience. .
OnCourse Learning Real Estate, formerly Career Webschool’s enrollment advisors can walk you through what education training you will need to begin a career in appraisal or answer any questions you have.
Phone: 800-532-7649 (available 8:30 – 5:30 ET Monday – Friday)
Chat: Utilize the great chat feature on OnCourse Learning Real Estate, formerly Career Webschool during business hours.